Assess Your Business
The Division of Purchase and Contract governs procurement for State agencies, community colleges, universities and some local government entities, ensuring that the State acquires the goods and services it needs to operate at costs which are fair and effective uses of taxpayer dollars. It also provides training resources for state agencies and vendors.
State and local government prefers to work with established, reliable businesses. Entities desiring to do business with the State must provide correct taxpayer information on North Carolina specified forms. The Substitute W-9 and Instructions are found here.
(Obtain an Employer ID Number (EIN/TIN). A valid EIN is required to register in the state procurement systems. 1-800-829-1040 or www.irs.gov/businesses)
Your small business must meet some basic requirements and complete several registrations to compete for State contracting.
- Basic Requirements – Instructional Guide for Vendors
- Identify your NIGP/Commodity Codes. You will need to know these codes to register in the state procurement systems.
- Register in eProcurement
- Register in the Electronic Vendor Portal (eVP)
To sell products or services to the State of North Carolina, you need to understand what and how they buy. Use these resources to see if there is a market for your product or service and determine how to bid.
- Vendor resources and training
- Research IT statewide Term Contracts
- Understand NC BIDS electronic bidding application
Learn how to market your small business to the purchasing department or prime contractor.