- TIBBETTS AWARD GOES TO MORRISVILLE BASED ATTAGENE Jan 20, 2017MORRISVILLE, NC- ATTAGENE, a Research Triangle Park-based life science company, has received the prestigious Tibbetts Award from the U.S. Small Business Administration. According to the U.S. SBA, the Tibbetts Award honors Small Business Innovation Research program participants “that have created a significant economic or social impact through the use of SBIR funding and are considered ... Read more »
- Gain Insights from Previous SBIR/STTR Awards Nov 7, 2016By: John Ujvari, SBIR Program Specialist, NC SBTDC
No matter if you are new to the SBIR/STTR programs or a veteran, there are a number of pre-submission homework assignments that should be carried out as you develop a Phase 1 proposal. The SBA’s SBIR/STTR website, SBIR.gov, offers various tools to confirm agencies’ interests. Let’s walk through ... Read more »
- Letters of Support Sep 30, 2016By John Ujvari, SBIR Program Specialist, NC SBTDC
An often underutilized approach to build instant credibility with SBIR / STTR proposal reviewers is to include relevant letters of support. NIH, for example, offers proposers the opportunity to submit up to three letters of support with your application package. Below, we discuss who these letters should come ... Read more »
- Notice of Proposed Amendments to SBIR and STTR Policy Directives May 24, 2016ACTION: Notice of Proposed Amendments to SBIR and STTR Policy Directives. April 7, 2016.
The Small Business Administration is proposing to revise the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) program Policy Directives to combine the two directives into one document; the proposed rule will also clarify the data rights and Phase III ... Read more »
- SBIR/STTR – Know the “Competition” Before You Apply Mar 17, 2016In business, it is of utmost importance to understand who/what your competition is before you launch a product. The same is true as you consider submitting a proposal for an SBIR/STTR grant or contract. Although it is not possible to identify the specific proposals that your submission will be in competition with, it is possible ... Read more »
- New Report Focuses on North Carolina Innovation Jan 28, 2016The North Carolina Board of Science, Technology and Innovation details how vibrant university-based research, robust high-tech business formation and a large manufacturing industry are making North Carolina fertile ground for innovation and entrepreneurship in a new report published December 18.
“North Carolina has a proud tradition of embracing new ideas, new technologies and new markets,” said ... Read more »
- STTR Awardee, CELLF-Bio, Discusses Relationship with the SBTDC Jan 27, 2016As a faculty member at Wake Forest University, I met both Chris Veal and John Ujvari of the SBTDC at an on-campus presentation about NIH SBIR/STTR funding for small R&D companies. At a follow-up meeting with the team, CELLF-Bio presented the outlook of its research, and they encouraged me to apply for an STTR. This ... Read more »
- Q&A with Ryan Gessner of Sonovol – SBIR Success at NSF Sep 28, 2015By John Ujvari, SBIR/STTR Specialist, NC SBTDC
Please give our readers an overview of SonoVol.
SonoVol is developing a medical imaging technology that can be applied to the drug development pipeline, specifically to evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of new drugs before they enter clinical trials. Their first product will be a standalone robotic benchtop ultrasonic imaging ... Read more »