- Award Winning Clients Apr 19, 2023Three SBTDC were recognized for excellence in the last month.
Mojotone CEO named SBA’s NC Small Business Person of the Year
SBTDC client Mojotone’s CEO was named the SBA’s 2023 NC Small Business Person of the Year. Michael McWhorter founded Mojotone in Greensboro in 2000, moved the company to Burgaw in 2005 and then moved into a ... Read more »
- Music as a Business 101 Apr 19, 2023By Clay Howard, SBTDC Regional Center Director and accomplished musician
A business based in music differs in many ways from other businesses, with the number one difference being that, in music, most likely the product you are selling is YOU – you ARE the business.
While the product is different, core business concepts apply to your music ... Read more »
- Burnout fueling turnover – and having significant impact on entrepreneurship Apr 18, 2023Source: Triangle Business Journal
Burned out American workers frustrated by their 9-to-5 jobs are launching side hustles and full-blown businesses — part of a dramatic change in the business ecosystem brought about in part by the Covid-19 pandemic.
That was a takeaway from Gusto Inc.’s new business owner survey for 2023, which included nearly 1,600 Americans who ... Read more »
- IBD Team Attends NASBITE International 2023 Annual Conference Apr 6, 2023SBTDC’s IBD team joined more than 150 international trade educators and trade specialists for the in-person NASBITE Annual Conference held March 28-30 in Annapolis, Maryland.
NASBITE conferences are known for their “takeaway” value and networking opportunities, and the 2023 event was no exception. Our team members shared and learned from sessions covering a broad range of ... Read more »
- Ginny Vaca Stewards Sciencix to Become North Carolina’s SBA Exporter of the Year Apr 6, 2023WASHINGTON – Today, the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) announced that Sciencix, headquartered in North Carolina, has been named the 2023 Small Business Exporter of the Year. The company will be recognized during SBA’s National Small Business Week, an annual event honoring the accomplishments and contributions of small businesses from across the Nation.
(L-R) SBTDC IBD ... Read more »
- 5 Critical Elements in Developing a Competitive SBIR/STTR Proposal Mar 13, 2023SBIR and STTR proposals are truly unique documents. They must meld together strong technical / scientific content with a robust understanding of the potential market and value creation possibilities. Often times it takes more than one attempt at submitting a proposal before it gets funded. Over years of reviewing proposals, working with clients and communicating ... Read more »
- NC STTR Success Story: Selsym Biotechnology Mar 13, 2023Revolutionizing Hemorrhage Control
SelSym Biotech, Inc. is a Raleigh-based company founded in 2019 by Drs. Ashley Brown, Andrew Lyon, and Thomas Barker. The current team consists of its three co-founders and one full-time employee. Its lead product, SymClot, is an innovative synthetic platelet capable of improving hemorrhage control and addressing a range of clinical needs in ... Read more »
- Survey Highlights Post-Pandemic Challenges Feb 27, 2023Source: SC SBDC
The United States has experienced consistent and steady economic recovery following the COVID-19 recession that took place during the Spring of 2020. Yet 2022 brought with it a new set of challenges. To specifically identify issues faced by businesses in the aftermath of the COVID-19 pandemic, the South Carolina Small Business Development Centers ... Read more »