- IP and Patents – Part 1 New Inventions and Ideas: Available Protection Nov 15, 2018
So, you’ve created something new. It might be a work of art, a better mousetrap or something else. Maybe it will save the world, or maybe it will just entertain people for a couple hours. But, it’s original and, therefore, worth something, at least to you.
Congratulations! In many respects, our society is built on innovation.
The next ... Read more »
- Lessons Learned: Bringing the Secrets of Silicon Valley to North Carolina Nov 15, 2018
In early November, the Duke Angel Network (Duke Angels) hosted David Frazee, Managing Partner at Richmond Global Ventures and a leading expert on international entrepreneurship. David provided an entire weekend of Complete Startup Training and recourses related to equity funding and bringing the secrets of Silicon Valley to North Carolina.
Frazee had several key messages for ... Read more »
- Don't Let Networking Tie You in Knots Sep 25, 2018INTRODUCTION
Regardless of the marketability of the product or the talent of the team, there is no way around the age old practice of networking for the entrepreneur. The advantages of networking are numerous, and the outcomes of persistent networking can be customer discovery, an effective word-of-mouth campaign, a portal to potential investors, a reservoir ... Read more »
- Don’t Let Networking Tie You in Knots Sep 25, 2018INTRODUCTION
Regardless of the marketability of the product or the talent of the team, there is no way around the age old practice of networking for the entrepreneur. The advantages of networking are numerous, and the outcomes of persistent networking can be customer discovery, an effective word-of-mouth campaign, a portal to potential investors, a reservoir of ... Read more »
- NC’s SBIR / STTR Awards Rise Significantly over 2015 Sep 25, 2018North Carolina’s small R&D companies continued to accelerate its use of the federal SBIR and STTR funding mechanisms. Award data for 2017 was compared against that of 2015 and all metrics analyzed demonstrated healthy gains.
Most notably, total dollars awarded rose 24% to over $63 million across 95 Phase 1 awards and 52 phase 2 awards ... Read more »
- Helping NC’s Tech Firms Soar Jul 26, 2018
SBTDC’s Technology Commercialization Team (left to right) – Chris Veal, David Walker, Dr. Nicole Schwerbrock (Director), John Ujvari, Mike Carnes.
This article below appeared as part of the Research & Innovation in North Carolina section of the July 2018 issue of Business North Carolina. In this issue, the Board of Science, Technology and Innovation highlighted the ... Read more »
- NC Sucess Story: NSF Awardee Athena's Compass Jan 22, 2018Washington, NC based Athena’s Compass has a mission is to deliver the most exciting and impactful learning experiences possible to empower and to equip our youth with the skills needed to succeed in science, technology, engineering, and math.
Game-based learning has been proven to improve science learning; however, companies have struggled to economically develop effective games ... Read more »
- Just Competitors or More? Jan 22, 2018The SBIR/STTR programs are solicitation driven. In other words, the participating agencies publish areas of need, which can be either broad or specific. It is up to the applicant to review these solicitations and decide if they should submit a proposal for a particular topic solicitation.
Imagine your business has identified a solicitation. The first thing ... Read more »