The Business Counselor is an entry-level professional position serving as a small business case management, information and introductory counseling specialist. This position reports to the Regional Center Director of the Small Business Technology Development Center (SBTDC). The role of the Business Counselor is essential to ensure that the SBTDC is best and most efficiently meets the needs of all the small businesses and would-be business owners who request assistance.
- Handle client intake, assessment and introductory counseling: deciding the best assistance options for each client (training, group counseling, individual counseling), answering general start-up questions, developing financial spreadsheets and completing short-term research projects for selected clients.
- Work directly with SBTDC clients to gather and input the information needed to produce business financial statements (income statements, balance sheets and cash flows).
- Perform financial ratio analysis and develop business plan or loan package, then help the client determine the appropriate next steps (possible examples: identify potential funding sources, rehearse banker presentation, develop benchmarks and tracking mechanisms, how to implement plan).
- Provide counsel on strategic planning, marketing and sales, human resources, organizational development, and other general business topics.
- Work alongside the regional center director to support the regional service center with departmental reporting, reconciliations and approvals, purchasing, asset management, data management, and budgeting.
- Maintains responsibilities related to supporting the regional service center through administrative functions such as reporting, reconciliation, resource management, etc.
Minimum Education / Experience
Bachelor’s degree and one year of experience related to the area of assignment; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
- Demonstrated knowledge about business start-ups and general business issues and resources.
- Proven ability to counsel businesses over the phone.
- Work requires the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. Both the SBTDC and its clients will be directly affected by the quality of service provided through this position.
- The SBTDC client base is comprised of diverse businesses; therefore, this position must be able to communicate effectively with various individuals.
- Strong administrative and organizational skills.
To apply for this job please visit appstate.peopleadmin.com.